JumpStart Preschool is a game released by Knowledge Adventure in 1995 that focuses on educational concepts for preschoolers. It would later be replaced by JumpStart Preschool (1998). It is also known as Jump Ahead Preschool in Europe.
The player can explore the interactive preschool classroom and click on items to play activities, listen to songs, or see animations. Clicking on the gift in the middle of the room under the table will take the player to a random activity.
Being that this is one of earlier JumpStart games, there is no toolbar feature, nor is there any kind of point or reward system. The game does have a progress report, which enables the player to see how he or she is doing.
- Easel: Color pictures with Casey. The areas in the pictures have numbers, letters, or shapes in them. Use the paint cans to fill in the areas that have the same number, letter, or shape as the paint can.
- Notepad: Connect the dots with Kisha. You can choose numbers or letters. Connect the dots in numerical or alphabetical order to create a picture.
- Turtle Bowl: Play with the classroom's pet turtle with Casey. Match turtles to the nests that have the same number of eggs as the number on the turtle's back.
- Jigsaw Puzzle: Place objects on the picture with Pierre. Look at the silhouettes on the picture. Click and drag objects from your toolbar, and place them on the picture where they belong.
- Bulletin Board: Play at the bulletin board with Kisha. Click on the picture on the bulletin board that matches the one in Kisha's hand. Eleanor co-hosts this game.
- Fish Bowl: Play hide and seek with Felicia the fish. Click on the light switch so she can hide. Then she will give a clue as to where she is hiding. Pierre co-hosts this game.
- Nursery Song Book: Listen to songs with Casey. The lyrics will appear on the screen so you can sing along. There are four songs: I'm a Little Teapot, The Itsy Bitsy Spider, You Are My Sunshine, and I've Been Working on the Railroad.
- Doll House: Make matches in the dollhouse with Pierre. Click on two window shutters to see what is behind them. Make matches of the same objects.
- Pierre's Picture: Find visual differences with Casey. Look at the four Pierres. One Pierre is different than the other. Find the one that is different.
- Trash Can: Clean up the yard with Eleanor. The trash can will tell you which item it wants, and how many of that item. Click and drag the correct item and quantity to the trash can.
Original JumpStart songs from the game:
- Welcome to JumpStart Preschool
- Seven Days of the Week
- The Alphabet Thing
- Numbers Song
- Seasons Song
- Winter Song
- Spring Song
- Summer Song
- Fall Song
- Shapes Song
Songs originally performed by the musical artist Bethie:
Adaptations of pre-existing songs:
- ABCs Song
- "Wheels on the Bus" Song
- "Rock Around the Clock" Song
- I'm a Little Teapot
- You Are My Sunshine
- I've Been Working on the Railroad
- The Itsy Bitsy Spider
- Similarities and Differences
JumpStart Preschool was re-released as part of the "Jumpstart Preschool Deluxe" bundle which included JumpStart Pre-K and an Activity Discovery Book. This bundle was initially made available on September 3, 1996.
In the mid-nineties, the game was released in Swedish as part of a McDonald's promotion.
JumpStart Preschool was later re-released by Davidson & Associates in 1999 under the name Davidson's Learning Center Series: Preschool.
In 2007, JumpStart Preschool was re-released once again in bundle called JumpStart Early Development, which also included JumpStart Toddlers (2000), JumpStart Baby (2000), and JumpStart Kindergarten (1994). In the same year, JumpStart Preschool was also re-released with the JumpStart Ready to Learn System bundle, which included the DVD game JumpStart PreK-1st Grade: Frankie's Field Trip, several short storybooks, and alphabet flash cards.
- ↑ Knowledge Adventure. (1996). Knowledge Adventure Ships JumpStart Preschool Third in Series of Award-winning Curriculum Product. Knowledge Adventure Press Release. Retrieved September 14, 2019.
- ↑ Knowledge Adventure. (1997). [http://web.archive.org/web/19980204174838/http://www.adventure.com:80/corporate/press_releases/19960903.html Knowledge Adventure Announces JumpStart Preschool Deluxe]. Jumpstart Preschool Deluxe. Retrieved April 30, 2020.