The player can explore the interactive preschool classroom and click on items to play activities, listen to songs, or see animations. Clicking on the gift in the middle of the room under the table will take the player to a random activity.
Being that this is one of earlier JumpStart games, there is no toolbar feature, nor is there any kind of points or rewards system. The game does have a progress report, where the player can see how they are doing.
- Easel: Color pictures with Casey. The areas in the pictures have numbers, letters, or shapes in them. Use the paint cans to fill in the areas that have the same number, letter, or shape as the paint can.
- Notepad: Connect the dots with Kisha. You can choose numbers or letters. Connect the dots in numerical or alphabetical order to create a picture.
- Turtle Bowl: Play with the classroom's pet turtle with Casey. Match turtles to the nests that have the same number of eggs as the number on the turtle's back.
- Jigsaw Puzzle: Place objects on the picture with Pierre. Look at the silhouettes on the picture. Click and drag objects from your toolbar, and place them on the picture where they belong.
- Bulletin Board: Play at the bulletin board with Kisha. Click on the picture on the bulletin board that matches the one in Kisha's hand.
- Fish Bowl: Play hide and seek with Felicia the fish. Click on the light switch so she can hide. Then she will give a clue as to where she is hiding.
- Nursery Song Book: Listen to songs with Casey. The lyrics will appear on the screen so you can sing along. There are four songs: I'm a Little Teapot, The Itsy Bitsy Spider, You Are My Sunshine, and I've Been Working on the Railroad.
- Doll House: Make matches in the dollhouse with Pierre. Click on two window shutters to see what is behind them. Make matches of the same objects.
- Pierre's Picture: Find visual differences with Casey. Look at the four Pierres. One Pierre is different than the other. Find the one that is different.
- Trash Can: Clean up the yard with Eleanor. The trash can will tell you which item it wants, and how many of that item. Click and drag the correct item and quantity to the trash can.
Original JumpStart songs from the game:
- Welcome to JumpStart Preschool
- Seven Days of the Week
- Numbers Song
- Seasons Song
- Winter Song
- Spring Song
- Summer Song
- Fall Song
- Shapes Song
Songs originally performed by the musical artist Bethie:
Adaptations of pre-existing songs:
- ABCs Song
- "Wheels on the Bus" Song
- "Rock Around the Clock" Song
- I'm a Little Teapot
- You Are My Sunshine
- I've Been Working on the Railroad
- The Itsy Bitsy Spider
- Similarities and Differences
JumpStart Preschool was re-released by Davidson & Associates in 1999 under the name Davidson's Learning Center Series: Preschool.
In 2007, JumpStart Preschool was re-released once again in bundle called JumpStart Early Development, which also included JumpStart Toddlers (2000), JumpStart Baby (2000), and JumpStart Kindergarten (1994).